Why this matters
No business or individual has been left untouched by climate change. Growing resource scarcity, unpredictable weather occurrences and the need to prevent further climate change have an impact on all of us. We recognise that as our organisation spans the globe we have a responsibility to take action on our own carbon footprint in every country we operate.
But we can’t save the planet on our own. Our largest environmental impact comes from both ends of our value chain: from our suppliers through to media owners. To tackle this, we want to use our relationships with our clients, media partners and suppliers to reduce the carbon footprint of the media and marketing supply chain.
We have set a bold reduction target for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions for ourselves. It covers our entire value change from upstream suppliers such as creative agencies to downstream partner such as media owners and consumers. We set strategy and policy at Group-level, covering energy, waste, water, business travel and commute. The strategy is implemented locally by our operating companies, both geographically by brand but also horizontally by brand, through our delivery model.
We use a metric which measures greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with users of our products and services: metric tonnes of CO2 per person. Some environmental impacts are also expressed in other metrics, such as the volume of water and waste.
Using this metric, we set a 2010 baseline for our direct emissions. We calculated it on an absolute as well as a per person basis. We don’t have a complete baseline picture for our indirect carbon footprint yet.
Reducing our own environmental impacts
- Energy consumption
- Business travel & commute
- Waste & recycling
- Water consumption
- Estate management
Reducing our supply chain emissions
- Outsourced IT-related emissions
- Creative agency suppliers
- Stationery & office supplies including sustainable paper
Reducing product-related emissions
- Media campaign emissions
- Media consumption emissions
- Emissions through consumer use & disposal
We will reduce the carbon footprint of our products and services with 20% per average employee.
Using our delivery model, we will achieve this by:
- Raising internal environmental awareness through our annual global social media campaigns;
- Engaging internal and external stakeholders around our global environmental programme, which leverages digital technology to take steps to reduce their energy consumption;
- Coordinate with IT and finance teams how to use capital expenditure investment rules to drive investment in greener technology and facilities;
- Work with our Future Proof champions to create locally relevant action on issues like paper procurement, recycling, greener commuting etc.
Download the Future Proof Plan here for further information